14 June 2015

Rediscovering Cebu with Gabii sa Kabilin 2015

My family and I are fascinated with Philippine history. Sometimes, as part of our routine bonding activities, we actually talk about the Spanish regime, Jose Rizal's secrets, what became of the Katipuneros and many others. Yes, we're that family.

I didn't grow up in Cebu but we knew a huge deal about it, being the oldest city in the country. Since we moved here I knew I wanted to visit every single museum there is but unfortunately, due to its location, I wasn't able to get the perfect timing.

When I heard about Gabii Sa Kabilin by RAFI, I knew I had to join. I wanted to see the city in all it's past grandeur. The only problem was - I didn't have anyone to join the tour with (For security reasons I decided not to go alone).

Some 5 years later, I asked my friend Camille of Wander Woman Wanders if I could join her and her Japanese friends on the tour. I might not cover all the sites (since there are about 30+ participating sites every year) but at least I could get a glimpse of the time that was.

And so finally! Armed with a fully charged phone/camera and my trusty walk-athon footwear, I journeyed back in time to Cebu's rich culture and heritage.

After getting the ticket, we were given a printed version of this to guide us to our next destination

Here are some photos I took of the museums or institutions we visited.

1. Don Sergio Osmena Sr. Memorabilia and CAP Art Gallery

2. Magellan's Cross

3. Basilica Minore del Santo Nino

4. Archdiocesan Museum of Cebu

5. USP Rizaliana Museum

6. Colon St.

7. Yap-Sandiego Ancestral House

8. Museo Parian

9. Fort San Pedro

A few notes about Gabii sa Kabilin

  • It happens every last Friday of May to culminate the Philippine's Nationa Heritage Month, from 6 pm to 12 midnight
  • To get to participating sites, guests walk or ride buses or horse-drawn carriages for free
  • One ticket (This year's ticket costs P150) gives you free admission to all the sites and allows you to enjoy cultural shows, contests, food fairs and all other activities
  • Children aged seven and under, accompanied by adults, get free admission
  • If you haven't bought a ticket before the tour, tickets can also be bought at all participating sites during the tour itself
  • For more information on this annual event, visit http://www.rafi.org.ph/culture-heritage/gabii-sa-kabilin